Jury awards $9.85 million to bus victim, husband

A Champaign County, IL jury has awarded nearly $10 million to a Mahomet couple in connection with a bus accident last year in downtown Champaign.

After a week-long trial, the jury awarded 61-year-old Patricia Marxmiller, who was struck by a Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (MTD) bus and lost both her legs, $9,422,232 in damages. Damages for her husband, Ken, were awarded in the amount of $450,000.

The Marxmillers’ lawyer, James Hagle, and his law partner, Jeffrey Frederick, said they had to fight the MTD for most of the 18 months since the suit was filed soon after the Feb. 25, 2015 accident, before the MTD backed away from arguments that Patricia Marxmiller walked into the side of the bus rather than being struck by the bus when she had the right-of-way crossing Walnut Street in a crosswalk.

The MTD was eventually found liable in the accident, and had the MTD acknowledged liability sooner, Frederick said, this legal action would have lasted more like a few months.

Frederick said it was especially upsetting to learn that the bus driver in the accident, Seth Stevens, had been placed on paid administrative leave rather than being fired after the accident.

To read the entire article, follow this link: http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2016-08-17/updated-jury-awards-985-million-bus-victim-husband.html

Contact Your Local Office

Keep Sharing Simple...
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInEmail this to someonePrint this page